Saturday, May 17, 2014

Surviving in Secret

She said it wasn't a near miss, she said I was part of it.  Other people had told me I was nearly a victim, so her confirmation meant a lot to me.  I had so many feelings that she understood that I can't describe.  She understood the risk.  She also described the risk of what my silence might mean for others as well.  It's not fair that living your whole story might create diving lines.  I live with discrimination today, but if I were to share my whole trauma story what discrimination would I face as a woman.  As I confronted all these questions she reflected in the manner that gave me peace that- 'you are a quiet stream shaping the rocks underneath you.' And I am sitting on the edge of great truths today, because of peer support from a fellow survivor.  There is more to say. But I don't have to till I'm ready that is part of what surviving is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment