Sunday, June 12, 2016

Surviving Trauma

Being a trauma survivor in a family of trauma survivors is awkward, because no one else is talking about their trauma.  I've been blessed by so many opportunities to have dialogues on trauma, but my family has not.  The picture of a (deceased) pedophile still holds a place of honor in my family and that is just amiss for me.  How can we celebrate together with these symbols?  I guess the force of honoring the victims in our family is not given voice and upholding myths of honor is easier.  I truly love my family and yet I feel they don't really know me or want to, at least this outspoken part of me.  The dialogues of our families should change and honor victims of violence or at least value their stories with greater weight than keeping myths alive.  As long as the myth lives, I will feel protective of my son around them.   Lines are drawn in our family and in our culture about listening to trauma.  Its easier to honor mythical figures that really don't exist than to feel the pain of the victim.  

No comments:

Post a Comment