Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pushing Past Stereotypes...

Pushing past stereotypes is what I do everyday in my work, I speak out about my experience in many places and hope for the best.  Most times, I am pleasantly surprised, but not always.  I was in the DC Airport about a year ago or more and my medication fell out of my open bag.  I was at the end of the line, placing my shoes on and starting to relax.  The security woman saw the bright yellow box and quickly fired off to her colleagues, "That girl is on psych meds!".  I looked around embarrassed a bit and wondered if they would start questioning me.  Everyone seemed to ignore her, it was busy, and I went on with my life.  After starting this blog, I have been confronted with two of my own mind's stereotypes:
1) Movie Theatres are not always Dangerous...
So I was a bit anxious about taking my son to his friend's birthday at a movie theatre, because I had just read an article on mass killings and it was sticking with me.  As I approached the theatre, I thought about retreating home and disappointing my son, because police were blocking off the road in front of the theatre.  Immediately, I wondered if something unusual was happening and with some misgivings, we moved closer.  As we approached children and families outside the theatre, I learned that the police were concerned some scaffolding would collapse in the 40 mile per hour winds.  All my fear buttons had been pushed already, so learning this only mildly helped.  We pushed forward inside, because I don't believe in allowing my son's childhood to suffer all my fears.  He had a blast and I had to really let go and breathe into the experience. 
2) Girls with physical challenges are NOT Fragile...
So my son was playing soccer, leaping and jumping around like he always does.  Then two girls came rolling onto the field after the game had starting and I found my body posture not saying what I wanted it to.  My hand was covering my mouth and I was watching my son's every move praying he didn't leap too close and rip out the oxygen tube from his team mate.   Again, I breathed and relaxed.  As the game went on I realized it was me that was fragile and not the new players.  I told the coach I was inspired and she said, well every parent wants to feel proud that their child is engaged in a sport.  Don't you feel proud?

So if you meet me in a crowd and its one of those times that I am blurting out about my lived experience with a behavioral health condition and you find your mind wandering to the latest news bashing of people with mental health challenges, just breathe, relax, and remember at the end of the day we all just want to belong.

Lastly, thank-you to news sources that take the time to get the story right! 


No comments:

Post a Comment