Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fighting to Reach Out (Suicide)

I think it is important to talk about suicide among those of us with mental health diagnoses.  If we remain silent, those around us will too.  Feeling suicidal is quite common.  One person dies by suicide every 15 minutes and it is the 11th leading cause of death in the US, according to the American Psychological Association (1).  Of those of us with mental health conditions, we are particularly at risk.  Multiple studies have found that 90% or more of people that die by suicide had a mental disorder at the time of their death, the most common one being depression (2). 
I remember that in college, while earning my master’s degree that one sign of depression was being slowed down that the feeling was like ‘walking through pea soup’.  Well, as a survivor of depression, I had found the experience to be much more painful.  It is like an open wound that stings loudly inside that you would do anything to silence.  The worst part is that it can’t be seen.  I remember in my college years, I would go to school and do my best to learn.  When I came home and put my books down, I would cry endlessly.  It was a cry that would erupt every evening for months.  I wondered if everyone was so unhappy with life.  Nothing about life seemed good.  Food and activities seemed like there was a big gray film drawn over them.  I would just cry at home alone.  The sadness was like a pool that didn’t end.  I began to devalue myself and got hooked up with people that devalued me.  I numbed my pain with alcohol.   Finally, I began to consider suicide as an opportunity to end it all.  I had one thread left and that was reaching out to the therapist that I had been avoiding calling, because my father said that he would be fired from his job if I used his insurance to access mental health benefits.
I decided in that moment that my life was more important that my father’s job and I picked up the phone called the insurance company and accessed a therapist.  She over time changed the way I looked at the world, the way I thought, and even the activities and friendships that seemed to be leading me further into the abyss.  It took time and an antidepressant helped, along with knowing I wasn’t walking alone.
I am finding myself really angry about Robin Williams’s death.  Whatever is keeping you from reaching out and finding some assistance, please fight for your life. Today there is a national hotline: 800-273-TALK that folks can call, making it even easier to break down barriers to getting assistance in that moment of desperation.
I have created a beautiful life around me, I wouldn’t have known this was possible then, but it just takes time.  I have a son and a husband that keep me laughing during the painful times and remind me that life can be fun.  There are many people out there to connect with and create times of joy.  One other great way to connect with others I have found is peer support.  There are other people with behavioral health conditions that reach out and support each other.  We share wellness resources, stories, and even design conferences, like Alternatives.   
It’s not that I live a pristine life free from all suffering, but I have some amazing tools to deal with the challenges.  Some I have designed, some fellow peers have designed, and some come from professionals.  Reach out and don’t sit in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment