Friday, October 17, 2014

I Can Stand (End Human Trafficking)

What she told me, her words, alerted me that the house was about to burn down around me.  I immediately took in all that was happening in that moment and knew I must escape.  I shut down into silence that has lasted for years.  I didn't know how to break the silence, even after I was free.  I will not claim to be a hero.  I only found my own freedom or the courage to write this after watching Malala, the girl that would not be silent- I realized I can speak.  I will be starting a mission that I am just beginning  to learn about.  I will be selling my art to raise funds for a scholarship opportunity for human trafficking survivors.  It was education that led to my ultimate escape.  A friend of mine recently witnessed human trafficking, keep this handy- national hotline (888.373.7888) for reporting human trafficking.   The signs to look for are on this website link-http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/recognizing-the-signs

27 million men, women, and childen are enslaved worldwide and only 40,000 enslaved people were identified in the past year according to a June 2013 report from the State Department.  This is a link to the comprehensive report- http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/210737.pdf

It is my belief that we all have a role to fill in breaking the silence and ending modern day slavery.



No comments:

Post a Comment