Monday, December 7, 2015

I love ZUMBA!!!

There is something about ZUMBA!!  If you were to watch me Zumba, I would be the medicated woman going left when your going right.  I'm always on the back of the beat with the move.  As a trauma survivor, I cover as much of my body as is possible for the weather (sometimes I wish I were Muslim so skin showing just wouldn't be allowed).  Despite all these barriers, I just love Zumba!  There is something about the beat and the moves that sings to my soul.  There is something about the warm smiles and happiness of the instructor.  Then there is the rule that there is just no wrong moves, no judgement.  My body sometimes feels like it lives in a box and Zumba lets my body soar.  The choreography is constantly testing the limits of my coordination and I know that is so good for my brain and my mental flexibility.
There was a Zumba challenge tonight where we had two teams and a dance off.  The two sides of the room had to dance closer and closer to the other in a battle.  It was so fun spirited, it lifted my spirit.  I couldn't make eye contact in the Zumba battle, but I'll get there.
I wish they had Zumba in the office, the hospital, and in all those places that feel boxy.

No comments:

Post a Comment