Friday, July 8, 2016

Keeping Hope Alive

As I quit my job, I didn't really think I would be landing in a world of poverty.  I haven't been poor since college, and even then I fluttered within because I found a job I hated that kept me alive.  This time was different, because I landed my whole family in poverty.  I believed I must follow a path back to Georgia and found unemployment without even unemployment benefits.  I learned a lot.  You have less energy, when you are poor for lunches and coffees with friends because there is no flow.  When you have food stamps, people judge your comments as you walk through the checkout line.  Some pharmacies, don't include the handy little cups for your medicine when your child has medicaid.  When I dressed the part of poverty, I felt it deep inside.  I had to believe in myself and not dress the part.  I had to believe that the job was coming and do everything in my power to make that happen, despite the odds of a middle manager flood.  I went to vocational rehabilitation to get counseling, because I didn't want to leave any stone unturned that could change the reality I was living.  My family's poverty ends on Monday and I am overjoyed that I was able to keep hope alive.  Everyone should have savings, understand a budget, understand how much you spend, and pursuit education with vigor.  Most of all, we must keep hope alive for change.  

No comments:

Post a Comment