Sunday, February 21, 2021

For the love of a Preteen...

 I realized finally after a rude wake up call that I must not depend on the therapist's one hour a week to change anything for my family's preteen.  I realized that the emotions vocabulary games we play randomly don't stick and that he must play them daily.  Today I am armed with emotional processing tools from Dialectical Behavior Therapy that I must practice in my home.  I can not wait for the therapist to respond, I have to process the specific emotion with the right processing tool with him.  I thought that episodic responding would work, because my preteen is usually okay.  And I realize that being okay or good is the facade of the American preteen.  I also realize they love being drawn up in a drama and its not something their friend are doing to them, its the way of being a preteen.  I am awake and I plan to act to educate my preteen on emotions, they aren't a one time education or just a drama for your friends entertainment, they are a way of life.  I bought a Jinga game and a beach ball to write different emotions down, so that we can play games with the words daily.   We are going to play daily, it is a responsibility to our relationship.


Thank you Lilia Reyes for this photo!!


No comments:

Post a Comment