Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Preteen Grief in Loss of Grandpa


 My son was being very mean, disrespectful, and rude after his grandfather died, for over a week.  He said he was fine at the therapists.  I was so resentful that he didn't seem to care about his passing.  His behavior escalated in careless insensitivities and I began disciplining him.  Then everything crescendoed in a crisis.  I made it very clear that I wasn't going anywhere and listened clearly to all his anger.  I empathized with his anger.  Then I asked if he hated me and then everything folded like a deck of cards.  He finally grieved out loud, and even supported me in my own tears.  That week was so hard waiting for him to fall into grief.  Everyone experiences grief differently, but it reminded me again that communication is so key, communication over discipline is key at all times.  

Peace,
Carol



No comments:

Post a Comment